Thursday, December 18, 2008

Plastic


Seven days left until Christmas. Or, as many stores will inform you, seven shopping days left until Christmas. Blue skies were seen briefly this afternoon so, after completing a very frustrating run (eight miles is extremely annoying to run when most of the sidewalks are slushy), I went with my parents to the mall. I think the last time I went to the mall before Christmas was when the hot toy of the year was Elmo. Today, the mall corridors were not as packed as I remembered, but there were still the same crowds of middle schoolers trying to look like high schoolers, high schoolers attempting to appear legal, and mixed in were the mothers pushing double-wide strollers. Here is what I saw:


Bath and Body Works: This was the first store we went too and seriously, can anyone really smell anything in that store? Everything begins to smell like Warm Sugar Vanilla or Sweet Pea. I overheard a mother, pushing what seemed like a triple-wide stroller, say "I have to leave- people keep giving me dirty looks." I felt kinda bad for the mother but the store was really packed- with people and merchandise. I left my own mother in the long line and pulled my dad out, saying the less people in that store, the better.


Foot Locker and other shoe stores: I'm trying to find shoes for my sister. And really, it shouldn't be so complicated. Chuck All Stars are popular and all the stores I went to had them. But when I asked the sales person for the color "unbleached white", blank stares was the answer I got. One guy, who looked like Napolean Dynamite, stated "Do you mean like yellow?" Um, if I meant yellow, I would have said yellow. But thanks and keep up the good work.


Miller Paint: So this store wasn't at the mall but I had to get an empty paint can and since I hate going into stores where the goods favor the male gender (Home Depot falls into the category as well), I dragged my dad in with me. As we wound our way to the back, I frantically searched the shelves for what I needed. No such luck- we would have to ask the six (really? six guys? do that many people need paint in the middle of December) guys behind the counter. The tall one, Aaron I think, got me the paint can and then proceeded to take his time getting my change. Seriously. I handed him my two dollars and then, it seemed like ten minutes later, I got my quarter back. For a brief second, I thought he was going to pocket the quarter- you know, like when your only change is a penny and you and the cashier have an unspoken understanding that you really don't need that penny weighing down your wallet. Then, another guy who was trying to "assemble" the paint can (put the handle on), dropped it and the clanging noise made all the other guys look over. Mr. Butterfingers then walks around the counter and hands it to me saying "Do you need help out?" It took me off guard and then the laughing of all the other boys helped me regain my focus and I politely said no. And dang it, I felt myself blush as the laughter followed us out the front door. Seriously though. Boys.


Grocery shopping aside, I think I'm done mall shopping for the year. Malls are too stuffy and too crowded and my hands always feel like they've been rubbed in lip gloss for some odd reason. I prefer online shopping where the lines are non existent, I can find the bathroom much easier, and, when I get bored, I can find the exit faster.

1 comment:

katie j said...

And don't forget the most important reason why we should always do our shopping online - the terrorists! The terrorists always target the malls! Better to stay at home, safely in front of the computer, and leave the mall heroics to Jack.